Education & Sports
his sector oversees education, training and development of the young generation and turning them into responsible citizens and leaders of tomorrow in the district. The District has 1,692 Primary schools of which 256 are Government aided and 1436 are private. The teachers on government payroll are 2632 primary, 497 secondary and 115 from the tertiary institutions. There are 580 secondary schools of which 57 are Universal Secondary education (USE) schools and 523 are private tertiary institutions 2 universities Kisubi and Nkumba and one PTC (Shimoni) are 66 vocational of which 3 are government while are private 63 are in the district and how many are government aided).
The District continues to excel in the National Examinations Primary Leaving Examinations, Uganda Certificate of Education and Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education. Wakiso District has proved to be the country’s academic giant having produced the best students in National Examinations at all levels –Primary seven, senior four and Senior six. In the national ranking of the best performing districts in 2014 in UCE out of 118 districts, Wakiso emerged the second best with schools.
To build and maintain capacity in education services, Improve service delivery as per the national education policies, education strategic investment plan and district development so as to ensure all learners have equal opportunities to access quality education services through improvement of infrastructure and mode of service delivery.
New/Upcoming Departmental projects
- Construction of VIP pit latrines in selected schools with inadequate sanitation/hygiene facilities.
- Furnishing Departmental Registry.
- Construction of classroom facilities in Gobero Baptist, Katuuso RPC, St. Mark Kakerenge and Sentema Quran Primary schools.
- Administering end of term 1 and joint Mock exams for P.7 candidates to reduce academic performance disparities in schools in Wakiso District.
- Strengthening twinning programme among schools with a view of improving balanced academic performance in the District.
- Implementation of the national Education goals in the District.
- Sensitization of teachers on the professional Code of conduct.
- Licensing and Registration of Nursery schools.
- Routine inspection of schools to ensure adherence and implementation of government policies.
- Provision of counselling and guidance services to teachers.
- Mobilization of pupils/students to attend schools.
- Sensitization of SMC and Bogs to enhance their performance of duties.
- Identifying areas (parishes) without schools.
- Inspection of primary, secondary schools and Tertiary institutions and recommended them for licensing/registration.
- Identifying the disadvantaged vulnerable children with learning disabilities for “proper placement in schools.
- Monitor teacher/pupil/student attendance in schools.
District Education Statistics
|Post-Primary Education Institutions||30|
|Teachers Training Institutions||01|
|Teachers In Government Aided||Numbers|
|Other Schools & Institution||Numbers|
|Secondary Private Schools||550|
|Schools USE Programme||57|
- Teacher pupil ratio: 1:53
- Pupil textbook ratio: 1:7
- Pupil stance ratio: 1:60
- Total number of Education institutions in the District: 2,977
- Total number of private primary schools: 1,436
Key NGOs partnering with the department
- Save the Children-Uganda
- Building Tomorrow-Uganda
- Voluntary Action for Development (VAD)
- Nature Uganda
- Nurture Uganda
- Hunger Free World
- SOS children’s Village- (U)
No Staff members yet. Try again later